To commemorate Happy PI Day, March 14, we celebrate Sugar Creme Pie.
Some Facts about Sugar Creme Pie:
- It is also called Hoosier Pie because it is the Unofficial Indiana State Pie
- There was a resoultion to make it official in 2009 but it never made it to the governor's desk.
- It is also called "Desperation Pie" or "Depression Pie" because the 5 main ingredients were available in most kitchens.
- It requires no eggs
- It requires no fruit
- It does require a baked pie crust that also requires baking for minutes after the filling is added
- "Dinner on the Grounds" in Indiana almost always includes a Sugar Creme Pie
- This is the recipe my mother in law used. She made a Sugar Creme Pie every Thanksgiving.