By Hitty Gale, a Gale Lyons Hitty
Blue Star Memorial Highways are highways in the United States dedicated to the Armed Forces. The program was started after WWII in 1945 by the National Garden Clubs of the USA to commemorate the Blue Star Service Flags. A blue star was placed on flags to denote a family member serving in the Armed Forces.
The Blue Service Flag was first used during WWI. It was hung in the window to indicate that a family member was serving in the fight. If the family member died while on active duty, the blue star was covered in gold. Service Flags are still used today and have gained some popularity among military families.
Blue Star Highway WWII Poster
Each Blue Star Memorial Highway Tribute Marker is maintained by a local club.
This marker is located at Interstate 75 Rest Stop #13 in Dooly County and is maintained by the Garden Club of Cordele Georgia. The Rest stop was landscaped with flowering Crepe Myrtle trees and beautiful flowers.
Crepe Myrtle at Interstate 75 Rest Stop #13 in Dooly County Georgia